Writing for Social Change: Re-Dream a Just World. Places Taught.
I have taught Re-Dream a Just World Workshops in these locations & formats:
- One-day workshops for masters credits at Springfield College Boston / School of Human Services during 1998 and 1999
- Afternoon workshops at UMass / Boston for the William Joiner Center for the Study of War and Social Consequences in 2001
- Eight week private creative writing classes in Albuquerque, New Mexico 2001-2002
- Independent one- and two-day workshops in Saint Paul, Minnesota in connection with workshops I gave at Hamline University on Issues of Diversity and Border-crossing for graduate students and faculty in the Graduate Liberal Studies and Graduate Creative Writing Departments in 2002
- Independent one-day workshop in Carson, New Mexico in 2002
- In this format: Writing Across the Borders: Prayermaking for a Just World, at synagogue Nahalat Shalom in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 2002, by request of Rabbi Lynn Gottlieb
- University of Minnesota’s Split Rock Summer Arts Program in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 2005
- For The International Women’s Writing Guild’s yearly conference at Skidmore College in 2007 and 2008
- In 2004, 2005, and 2006, I taught the third component of the workshop at the weeklong conference at Skidmore, and in a weekend workshop in Santa Fe, in a slightly different form, titled, Discovering the Unlived Life: Writing Through the Mystery of Human Behavior in Fiction and Memoir
- Forthcoming on a trip to Cuba for writers and artists, I will be teaching, in partnership with a Cuban writer, a writing workshop that uses many of the concepts, discussion of issues, and writing explorations of Writing for Social Change.
I have occasionally taught this workshop material accompanied by writer/activist Demetria Martinez, as follows:
- Re-Dream A Just World, and Place and Exile/Borders and Crossings, taught in 2 private weekend workshops in 2003
- The Center for Contemporary Arts in Santa Fe weekend workshop in 2003
- Highlands University, Las Vegas, New Mexico, afternoon workshop in 2003
- The National Hispanic Cultural Center weekend workshop in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 2003
- The University of New Mexico’s Honors Program, Spring Semester 2004
- The University of New Mexico’s Summer Conference in Taos in 2006
- Leaven Retreat Center near Lansing, Michigan in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007, a 5-day workshop.